Free WHOIS Lookup Tool – Track Down Public Registration Info Now
The WHOIS tool allows you to get a domain name’s public registration information.
Enter one of the following into the text box:
- A domain name
- An IPv4 address (eg, 192.168.1.1)
- A Base-10 IP address.
If you’re providing a Base-10 IP address, check the Convert Base-10 to IP box.
When to Use It
You can use the WHOIS tool to:
- Find out who owns a domain
- Get the contact information for the domain owner
- See when the registration information was last updated
- Find out the status of a domain (eg, active, expired, available)
- Find the domain’s DNS servers.
You may not use WHOIS to gather information for the purposes of spamming.
What It Does
The WHOIS tool sends an inquiry to a WHOIS server to get information about the domain. The specific server to which we send your request depends on the top-level domain in your query. If you provide a domain with a .com or .net extension, the query goes to internic.net. If you provide an IP address, the tool will do a reverse DNS lookup to get the associated domain name.
Requests for WHOIS information follow the WHOIS protocol that’s specified in RFC 3912. Domain registries can follow a thin or thick data model (the .com and .net TLDs use the thin model). Both models include:
- Information about the registrar
- Domain status
- Creation and expiration dates
- Name server data
- Date the record was last updated.