Donald Trump and the Republican Party are both in full meltdown. Over the course of this chaotic week, we have seen just about everything go wrong for these people.
Since then, CNN Editor-at-Large Chris Cillizza has pointed out that there has been the staggering figure of twenty-six major headlines dealing with the Trump administration. With thanks to his assistance in compiling the list, we thought it was best left in the raw.
- FBI raids Trump lawyer Michael Cohen’s office, seizes Stormy Daniels documents, bank records
- Sketch of man who Stormy Daniels says threatened her to be released
- Trump cancels South America trip to monitor Syria response
- Search warrant reveals Mueller’s interest in Manafort’s actions during Trump campaign
- John Bolton pushes out Tom Bossert as homeland security adviser
- Stormy Daniels cooperating with federal investigators following Cohen raid
- ‘Apprentice’ contestant Summer Zervos presses her defamation case against President Trump
- NYT: Trump tried to end Mueller probe again in December
- Special counsel team met with Trump lawyers on day of Cohen raid
- Trump considering firing Rosenstein to check Mueller
- FBI raid targeted records of payments to porn star, ex-Playmate
- Trump attempts to cloud timing of potential Syria strike
- Trump insists that if he wanted to fire Mueller, it would be done
What a week.
For the purposes of posterity, every one of these things should be kept an eye on, so that we might raise awareness about them. But in the here and now, it’s only necessary to look at the general trend. You don’t have time to examine each drop of water in a flood, nor is that necessary, in order to understand that it’s time to seek high ground.
Nor have things been better for the other Republicans, which is good. Not in the history of America, have we seen a weaker and more morally bankrupt set of criminals stinking up the halls of our great government.
But at least one of them will soon be gone! Paul Ryan, the highest-ranking member of the House of Representatives is the latest to join a flood of Republicans to decide against seeking re-election. He wasn’t even the only one to do so that day.
GOP Representative Dennis Ross of Florida told his hometown paper that his fourth term in the House will be his last.
This is all very ominous, for the GOP. A Blue Wave, and a Red undertow.
In this world, there are few things certain, but one thing we can count on is being presented with bills to pay.
For Donald Trump and the GOP, the check has bounced.
As this was going to publishing, a determined Western coalition including the United States, Great Britain, and France launched strikes against targets at three sites in Syria in the early hours of Saturday morning, following a week of threats of retaliation for an alleged chemical weapons attack on civilians in the Damascus enclave of Douma.
The world is teetering on the brink of war, this morning, and the worst people in the country are in charge of running it.
Sleep well, America!